Havelock Island is part of Ritchie’s Archipelago, in India’s Andaman Islands. It’s known for its dive sites and beaches, like Elephant Beach, with its coral reefs. Crescent-shaped Radhanagar Beach is a popular spot for watching the sunset. On the island’s east side, rocky sections mark long, tree-lined Vijaynagar Beach. The island’s forested interior is home to birdlife such as white-headed mynas and woodpeckers.
Havelock is a picturesque natural paradise with beautiful white sandy beaches, rich coral reefs and lush green forest. It is one of the populated islands in the Andaman group with an area of 113 sq. km. and is located 39 km of north-east of Port Blair.
This island, with beautiful sandy beaches fringed with green canopy of the rain-fed forests beckons everyone to enjoy the frolic and fun at the azure sea.
With sublime silken beaches, twinkling teal shallows and some of the best diving in South Asia, Havelock has the well-deserved reputation of being a travellers paradise. Indeed for many, Havelock is the Andamans, and it’s what lures most tourists across the Bay of Bengal, many of whom are content to stay here for the entirety of their trip.
Reasons to Visit
• Havelock Island, named after Henry Havelock, a British general, is situated 57 km North East of Capital City Port Blair
• Havelock Island is accessible by 4 hours ferry ride from Port Blair (Lesser by a speedboat or Macruzz)
• Havelock Island is renowned for crystal clear waters and Scuba diving / Snorkeling experience like no other destination in India except Lakshadweep.
• Havelock Island which is where a few eco-resorts are situated and where Scuba / Snorkeling can be enjoyed in pristine blue waters which are best anywhere in India territory by a long way (except Lakshadweep Islands on the Western extreme).
• Port Blair is anything but touristy. Idea here is to relax, unwind and enjoy a remote island experience.
• Guests here spend anywhere from two nights to two weeks.
• One can hire a bicycle; a scooter and move around the Island (15 kms from one end to another) or can just enjoy walking around.
• Havelock Island is as remote as it can get and there is no question of any other commercial activity besides few resorts and dive centers. Medical and emergency facilities here are basic and one has to get transported to Port Blair for a simple medical checkup. Radhanagar Beach, Govindnagar Beach and Vijaynagar Beachare two main locations. Radhanagar Beach is more conventional beach, good for swimming or a long walk Vijaynagar Beach and Govindnagar Beach is where there are corals and where one can do a bit of Amateur snorkeling Short Boat ride required to be taken for more unexplored Scuba / Snorkelling sites Dive Centres are open all through the year and Diving is conducted during monsoon (June – Sept) subject to weather condition.
• Island Destinations of India”Havelock is most popular and exotic Island to arrive in Andaman Islands. It takes a 3 hours boat ride (2 hours by private boat) from Port Blair to reach. Havelock has full range of stay options from budget beach shacks to premium resorts and is popular with honeymooners and adventure travellers. Dive centre here is operational all through the year.”
• Popularly visited destinations on Andaman Islands”Havelock Islands is accessible via a ferry ride from Port Blair and is renowned for its crystal clear beaches, adventure activities and remote island character. Havelock Islands remains one of the most sought after destinations of Andaman Islands by holiday travellers and honeymooners.”
• Nearest Airport -Port Blair (39 kms)